Skip to main content

I Loved Being A Kid...yeah, it's totally random!

Yesterday I got an email about "you know you're a kid of the 80's if......". There were things there I had totally forgotten about. It really took me back to being a kid. I LOVED being a kid. I suppose that's why I'm still and always will be one at heart.


My favorites were those plastic charm necklaces. Oh how I wish I still had mine. A friend and I would walk to the Container Store (much different in the 80's) and spend out $2 allowance on a new charm every week. Oh Lord I loved those things! I must MUST get on ebay and buy myself one, but damn, have you seen how much they go for?

I also had banana clips out the wazoo. I wore one all the time so I could pull my hair back and people could see the lines I had shaved in my hair on the sides of my head. I thought I was so awesome....even then.

Remember when it was worth gettin' up early on a Saturday to watch cartoons? I did that even after all my friends had stopped. I totally loved Galaxy High and the Smurfs.
Oh...and what about multiples? I guess those were towards the end of the 80's for me. I can't say I ever wore any of it but the belt (the red thing in the picture), they made PERFECT skirts.....back when I was skinny. I LIVED in that skirt.

Then there were my Chuck Taylors.....wearing different colors with one another. Coloring and writing all over them and flippin' the tops of them down.

Wishing I could grow up to be as tough as Sam on The Facts of Life, only to later think she was a lesbian (once I found out what that was) and I was pretty sure I didn't want to be one of those.
Mixed tapes. Oh how I loved those. I still have one a boyfriend made me a hundred years ago. It's got love songs on one side and hate on the other. It's all punk so you know, the love side....well....punk was love to me then.
GHETTO BLASTERS! Still love 'em! Hell, the panties I'm wearin' RIGHT NOW got a big 'ol ghetto blaster on the butt.
Friday nights at the skatin' rink. Rockin' the white Ridells. I could do anything on those things. I even broke my ass bone on the wheel of one of my skates! I still have them....still use them if I get drunk enough.

Puffy stickers, glittery stickers, stickers that smelled like grapes. My sticker book was RAD.
Cruizin'. Everybody would cruise the parking lot at the movie's. I remember the smell of cigarettes and hairspray. Motley Crue comin' outta every car.
Not being allowed to watch MTV, because my Mom thought it was too racey. Anytime I could sneak some MTV time I was paralyzed by it. The moon man, the videos, Colin Quin.....man do I miss THAT MTV.
I remember when it was so cool to smoke too. I'd ride my friend's brother's bicycle (of course it had blue mag wheels) through the back parking lot of Osbourne High School and I'd be puffin' on one of those bubblegum cigarettes. I thought I was the shit. I was all "Hey, check me out! I'm in like 2nd grade and smokin'...I'm totally hot shit". Yeah. I told you I've always been awesome!
Bright yellow Walkmen, bicycles with banana seats, Max Headroom, Miami Vice on Friday's, jellies shoes, "Whatchou talkin' 'bout Willis?", dressin' up like Cindy Lauper, A.L.F, jelly bracelets....I could go on and on and on. Is it just me or was everything better then?

Comments

jujubeew2626 said…
holy hell - that was awesome...what a trip down memory lane. i loved those charm things!
Stitchblade said…
I STILL have my charms SOMEWHERE. They may be at my moms...there is even a toilet on there. I also still have my sticker book...a HUGE photo album and all the pages are all nasty...I even have two oilies...remember those? Yea..what's up now?
Lori said…
Sticker books were the dumbest things. They were super rad at the time but its just a book of useless stickers! I wish I had stuck them to things rather than just hoarding them in a book on the shelf.

Popular posts from this blog

June 28 - I Heart Faces Pet Entry

I know, I know....it's be FOREVER since I last posted, but life has majorly gotten in the way. Lots and lots of ups and downs....well mostly downs, but who am I to complain? ....and I'm totally not about to be a Debbie Downer and start whinin '..... that'll come later...I promise.....I'm doin ' this here post ' cuz I wanna have an awesome picture of our ol ' Wheezy Lee and Vin to be posted on the I Heart Faces Blog . It's my first time and Lord knows I probably ain't gonna get it right the first 1,600 times I try, but I'm gonna give it a go anyhow. Despite life totally suckin ' these days, I do have a constant source of entertainment....when she's not being a total crappin ' machine that is..... I introduced Wheezy Lee to y'all a while back and she's been growin ' like mad. To catch you up on everything you've missed, she hates swimmin ' despite my best efforts....she refuses to be crate trained.....she th

East Atlanta Strut 2010

I've been sewin' my fingers off tryin' to get ready for the East Atlanta Strut . It was the first show I had ever done and it was a BLAST! Bein' used to your standard kinda craft shows, you know the ones.....wood cut into silly stuff, marsh mellow guns, lace and potpourri, you can imagine my excitement when I was accepted to do the Strut, which ain't your mama's craft show. After three years, I've decided to give it a go again. I've really focused on my bears since that's what I really enjoy makin' and it's what everyone seemed to like best. You definitely won't find anything else like 'em out there! They're all sad lookin' and junk.....and people wanna hug 'em when they see 'em. I started sewin' these guys three years ago and after readin' an article in a magazine about a man that went to war, was burned badly while there and came home to his finance, married her and made babies with her despite all his s

Fluffidermy!

I would say 90% of my friends are into buyin' taxidermy. The stuff that lined the walls of my family's homes is more popular than ever! The difference bein' that my family shot that junk themselves and proudly displayed their trophies and ate the rest.... Seein' as how the closest I get to huntin' is huntin' the best deals possible on groceries and I can barely afford toilet paper these days taxidermy ain't gonna find itself to the already awesome walls of my house anytime soon. HOWEVER...... You know, I've been makin' my Battle Scrarred Bears again and in the midst of all the hubub over taxidermy, I decided to start puttin' their sweet little heads on plaques.....and voila!......my own dadgum taxidermy........FLUFFIDERMY!!! I've seen lots of other crafty made....uhhhh....idermy, and even proudly display feltidermy by girlsavage on one of my walls. Fluffidermy is my spin on the awesome that is stuffed craft ...idermy!.....and dammit....ev