Skip to main content

Cigarette Box Flash Diffuser

A few months back I took a photography class taught by Jenn at BlondeShot Creative. In the class I had told her how much I hated usin' a flash. It washes out people and just doesn't capture the moment the way you see it.....even through the lens of the camera.

Jenn suggested a homemade remedy to diffuse the brightness of the flash by using a film canister. I came home and dug through all my junk lookin' for a film canister, but haven't bought film in like 8 kabillion years. After comin' up empty handed, I sat on the couch and pouted for a while then I just completely forgot about it.

Today, Jenn sent me an email with a link showin' how to make a flash diffuser usin' a box of cigarettes. I knew I had one of those!.....or Jeremy did anyways. I couldn't wait to get home and try it. I had to wait for Jeremy to get home and as soon as he walked in I asked if he could empty his pack of cigarettes.

This is what you'll need........

Your digital SLR with pop up flash, a pack of smokes (emptied with foil still in it) and a knife.



After carefully pulling out the foil, makin' sure not to rip it, cut one edge of the bottom of the box.


Here's what it should look like after you've cut it.....


Turn the foil inside out so that when you put it back in, the foil's facin' in........


Push it all the way back in......


Once you have popped up your flash, put the box on like this......


I messed around with it quite a bit while takin' pictures and actually ended up turnin' the box around so the top was opening up the other way like in the link Jenn had sent me.


Here's my first shot....without the diffuser. (You're diggin' my awesome red makeup free skin ain't ya?). I'm all shiny and icky.......


This one is with the diffuser......much prettier and softer........


Without diffuser.........


With diffuser.......


Without diffuser......


With diffuser.......


I really had a lot of fun takin' these pictures and as you can see it really worked! I definitely wanna try the film canister diffuser now. I think it may stay on better. I had some trouble keepin' the cigarette box on at times and don't think it would be too practical if I were takin' say some inside party pictures. If you're just doin' some still shots around the house this method will work just fine!

Thanks Jenn!!!

Comments

glad it worked out for you! You could even come up with your own idea for a diffuser, the possibilities are endless. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your tests and experiments... it really is one of the best ways to learn! I would suggest to keep in mind that you will need to set your camera to over expose the image since its metering for the regular flash, but not the diffused flash. You will need to do this either by adding to your flash or exposure compensation, or shooing on manual.
Thanks Jenn....I'll have to keep that in mind. All those shots were taken in Automatic mode. As you know, all the manual settings freak me out a bit. I really, really want to try the film canister!
Judy said…
wish this could work with my digital camera...no matter what setting i have it on, the flash is ridiculous. i now have it on a setting where it takes two pics at a time, one with /one without flash. most of the time i keep the one without the stupid flash...
At least you have that option Judy!
Lori said…
I always blocked the flash with my other hand when on vacay and using a point n shoot. it helps filter it but sometimes it does weird stuff
I've done the same thing Lori!

Popular posts from this blog

Where I'm At

I have no internet access at work and it's killin' me. It's nuts how hooked on that shit I am! I'm used to havin' Facebook open all day.....chattin' with friends, lookin' at all the stupid shit posted.....no mas. One day, I'm gonna go missin' and my new co-workers are gonna find me huddled in a corner rockin' back and forth droolin' on myself mumblin' somethin' about Facebook destroyin' my life. I hope they just put me outta my misery right then and there.......

Unfortunately, my blog's gonna take the biggest hit. I've always blogged from from work. It was nice and quiet and I could THINK which is somethin' that's dang near impossible to do at home. This whole havin' a husband and kids thing doesn't really afford me the time or the quiet I need to write.

Today though I decided I don't really care about all those hours of Facebook updates. They were amusing at work, but once I'm at home, ehhh...…

Adam's Obit and Guestbook

The AJC posted an awesome article about Adam and Saturday night. Somebody finally got it right....mostly. Like everything else, it'll make you cry.

His Obituary has also been posted. There are a lot of great positive messages that have been left in the Guestbook.


A friend of mine sent me this picture from Saturday night. There's a lot I'd like to say about it, but it just ain't comin' out yet.



The viewing will be at Wages Funeral home on 78, Tuesday from 4pm-8pm.The Funeral will be Wednesday at 11am at Wages with burial @ 5pm in Leesburg, Ga.Wages Funeral Home, 3705 Highway 78 W, Snellville, GA 30039, (770) 979-3200

$13 Tattoos at 13 Roses in East Atlanta....On Friday the 13th

Friday the 13th is upon us again! The most unluckiest of all days. Mwuahahahahah!!!!

HOWEVER, you can turn it around and make it your LUCKIEST day, because 13 Roses Tattoo Parlour in East Atlanta is having their $13 tattoo special! No, you didn't read wrong....THIRTEEN FREAKIN' DOLLARS (+ a $7 lucky tip). You gotta 20? You gotta tattoo!

The artists in the shop have drawn up 13 different designs to choose from and they all incorporate the number 13. Last year, a friend of mine got a little bat with the number 13 in it and it was pretty flippin' sweet! You wanna know what there is to chose from this year? You gotta get your sweet ass down there and see for yourself!

It's first come first serve. You get put on a list, your not able to choose the artist (ya git who ya git, but they're all pretty awesome!), you pick one of the 13 designs they have and bickety freakin' BAM.....you got yer tattoo!
Seriously you could totally make a day/night outta this! The doors will be …